[Osmf-talk] DWG survey on organized editing

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Sun Oct 8 09:13:00 UTC 2017

On Sunday 08 October 2017, Manfred A. Reiter wrote:
> Hi Allan, *,
>
> One of my biggest reservations is the fact that the survey is being
> conducted in English only.

Yes, this is a problem i saw as well - but nothing that can practically
be fixed without creating a whole bunch of new problems and without
making the survey a much bigger project.  Any translation of specific
questions without changing the meaning is somewhere between very hard
and impossible.

I would suggest to simply treat this survey as a slightly better way to
gauge viewpoints than through tagging proposals and RFCs on the mailing
lists.  There you usually get maybe two dozen opinions highly selective
and very prone to influence.  With a survey like this we can hope to
get opinions from - i hope - at least a few hundred participants in a
more balanced form.  Yes, this is still highly selective but as long as
you are aware of that (and there are also questions to gauge how
selective participation is) it is still helpful.

And during discussion of drafts of a policy the DWG might put up for
discussion it would certainly be a good idea to specifically reach out
to the local communities to discuss this among themselves and then
bring the results of this discussion into the mix.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/