[Osmf-talk] Humanitarian work (was: 2018 a third episode...)

Heather Leson heatherleson at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 12:00:28 UTC 2018

Hello if we are going to convene another working group, can it please be
"community" first? The membership WG does not have the TOR or the bandwidth
to tackle the larger community needs. They are great volunteers. Truly, but
the gap is very obvious.

Honestly the level of engagement by all members and the community is
shocking. The dominance of narratives goes beyond organizations. There are
definitely key people (who are valued volunteers) on these mailing lists
and the working groups who have a voice. Often their voices drown out
anyone else.

Regarding humanitarian activities, I personally think there are people
doing incredible work that are not in HOT and are humanitarians. The
humanitarian space knows them. Trust me. I have been in meetings across the
clusters and heard fantastic things about CartONG, EOF etc. Ask the Center
for Humanitarian Data - who is publishing and advocating open data for
humanitarian action. If other individuals and organizations are tailoring
datasets for humanitarian action using OSM, this is where people access it.
To widen the definition, there are great people doing urban planning for
resilience and tackling the SDGs (also humanitarian actions)

The larger issue remains - OSMF governance and community engagement are not
necessary fit for future.

Now, I am going outside. I hope you do too.

Heather

Heather Leson
heatherleson at gmail.com
Twitter/skype: HeatherLeson