[Osmf-talk] Communication style - moderation - CoC [was Re: Board members with similar background (was: 2018 a third episode...)}

nicolas chavent nicolas.chavent at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 21:12:07 UTC 2018

Hi,

I do not think that Mikel's email calls for list moderation, nor for
any reflexion/decision/enforcement of any CoC. Self-moderation is way
more effective and more respectful of the sense of responsibility of
each individuals forming the OSM community and the OSMF membership. As
Christoph pointed out, any post on free (non-moderated) mailing-lit of
forum is worth its contents as well as it tells a lot about its
author. Communication style matters in good or in bad and weigh in the
overall reputation of any individual belonging and active in a
collective and in a community.

Mikel's email is illustrative of several difficulties:
- A difficulty to understand that this is during elections times that
members talk and may express disagreements as per the future of their
organization;
- A general difficulty to hear and cope with disagreements in a
collective of individuals, this is true in OSMF, this has been equally
true in HOT US Inc;
- A specific difficulty to remain thoughtful and calm during exchanges
with persons with opposite views;
- A difficulty to accept that my position about the presence of HOT US
Inc at the OSMF can be guided by a principle and not by my affects and
a pure anti-HOT US Inc mantra;

This can be a surprise from someone who has been in the past and
currently for many years OSMF Board member and also Board member,
president and chairman of the voting member at HOT US Inc. All those
positions request strong abilities to listen to all parties, foster
dialogue and cool down things without resorting to control or police
mechanisms when collective dynamics got heated by disagreements.

There's a parallel to draw between the communication style of Mikel in
2018 and the one of Dale Kunce (by then President of HOT US Inc) in
the 2017 email thread "[Osmf-talk] HOT US Inc use of Code Of Conduct
(CoC) for Membership control after 2015 OSMF Board election"  [1]

Both emails are a sign of a specific culture of violence within HOT US
Inc, that I described in this 2017 email "[Osmf-talk] About HOT US Inc
"specific" culture at work in Dale Kunce's emails and why it has to be
mitigated at OSMF in 2017 [was Fwd: May 2017 use of Code Of Conduct
(CoC) for Membership control in HOT US Inc internal governance]" [2]

This culture is still at work, I am still under a CoC complaint
process initiated in May 2017 that Mikel, as chairman of the
organization, emailed me and which is still ongoing! I did not hear
back nor from the Board, nor from Mikel and then Joseph Reeves who
took over from Mikel as chairman.

The notification email reads as below: