[Osmf-talk] Humanitarian work (was: 2018 a third episode...)

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sun Dec 16 17:43:37 UTC 2018

Hi,

On 12/16/18 18:13, Simon Poole wrote:
> If one tries to piece together the history of HOT, at least from an OSMF
> point of view*, it is very clear that HOT was sold to the board by Mikel
> at the time as ""our department" for humanitarian work".

Well - it is quite possible that, at the time, everyone was happy not to
have to deal with humanitarian issues and that, at the time, it *was* a
good idea to simply let folks run with it. Considering how big HOT has
become, I'm quite happy that they're not an OSMF working group, or else
we'd have a constant case of the tail wagging the dog ;)

I don't envision the OSMF running huge aid projects. But it could
probably work to reclaim the "general interest in humanitarian mapping"
as a core OSM(F) activity, while leaving the concrete execution of
projects to bodies like HOT. It all depends on people willing to do it.

> * I've done that mode than once, and always end up wondering what the
> board was smoking at the time.

I can say with confidence that no smoking of anything has happened
during the in-person board meetings that I was part of. (At least not
while we were in session.)

Bye
Frederik