[Osmf-talk] Voting "recommendations" by employers (straw poll)

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sat Nov 10 17:37:53 UTC 2018

Hi,

the overwhelming majority of OSMFers participating in this discussion
would prefer employers to refrain from suggesting what their employees
should vote for.

I'm happy about this outcome; I was honestly a little worried that
perhaps my opinion was a minority opinion and we'd find lots of people
saying things like "hey, big companies know best what's good for OSM so
they should have a say" or so ;)

We cannot rely on companies and organisations somehow magically doing it
right; we must write it down. I reckon it could perhaps go onto the
welcome.openstreetmap.org site somewhere, which is mainly aimed at that
group. I'll make a pull request there if we can agree on a good wording.

I was thinking maybe:

"If you are an employer and you want to encourage your OSM-involved
staff to become members of the OpenStreetMap Foundation, that's a great
idea and we welcome it. However, as a grassroots project we ask you to
respect our decision making processes and refrain from suggesting to
your employees any particular use of their participatory power, like
recommending a vote for certain candidates in an election. Becoming a
member and exercising their membership rights must be the sole decision
of the individual."

Would that be something that everyone could get behind? Or is the
"grassroots project" term maybe too much of a political one and should
be replaced with "a project conceived and run by individual volunteers"
or so?

We could add "Please also refrain from offering incentives, like a
reimbursement of the membership fee, for employees who join the OSMF.";
the majority of people didn't think this was a good idea, though that
majority is not as overwhelming as the "voting recommendations" one.

Bye
Frederik