[Osmf-talk] Reminder - Etiquette guidelines

Heather Leson heatherleson at gmail.com
Sun Nov 25 15:17:52 UTC 2018

HI Folks

Translation for those that need it:

*Something that I never stop being amazed at is which Of course, some
people not only value judgments about the How others express and
communicate but in no way at all to these other people at the same timeto
have their own cultural and moral values and to communicate.Have you ever
thought about how negative yours Communication style is perceived by others
and how destructive the other yes, quite obvious complete refusal of one
objectively-argumentative examination of the subjects of others You work on
the healthy dialogue?Friendliness is not just a question of choice of words
and the Formulation, but is also expressed by being onothers approach and
deal with their views - especially when they are fundamentally different
from their own. Theand not the abandonment or suppression of one's own
attitude in favor A superficial harmony is what I mean by a healthy one
Understand dialogue."Have you reflected on this yourself regarding for
example the comments you make that "members are members" etc.?  Do you
think you are being inclusive for local hobby craft mappers all over the
world with that?"*

****
Christoph, I am very much permitted to have a different view point and
communication style than you. As I am also free to have a different vision
on what I see is the wider community of OSM and the future of OSM. That
does not undervalue any member. That is not my intention. Instead, I would
like for OSM and OSMF to be open to a future that includes different
viewpoints, different voices, and yes, even, different reasons to join OSM.
All we can do is try to meet each other half way.

I realize that your passion for OSM drives you to constantly post and
express your opinion. Your contribution is well known. I appreciate this.
Even if I don't respond or agree, I can respect your right to be you and to
post.  Considering my notes as potentially 'destructive'  or 'negative' is
giving me pause. I am a volunteer. This email post was about "etiquette".
Instead of drinking my tea and reading my work article, I am responding to
you. I often read the posts, but don't respond. Why - because every single
item I ever post results in a constant dissection. In order for me to
respond, I spend time trying to find a way to say things in a clear manner.

Someone did tell me that I am too kind and too nice in OSM. Is it
destructive/negative to not weigh my words, my energy, my time, my voice
and all the nuances /foibles of OSM's community before posting anything? I
often step back and self-censor because it is exhausting to try. But, I
also think that when we talk about communication styles and etiquette, it
seems to me that my (now) cold tea is better than not trying to find a way.
What I find very sad is that these back/forth items on just trying to be
part of the community can push people away.

You are always welcome to post in which ever language you choose. As long
as you forgive me for using google translate to seek a common language.

Heather

Heather Leson
heatherleson at gmail.com
Twitter/skype: HeatherLeson