[Osmf-talk] Board decision on recent OSMF membership registrations

Kate Chapman kate at maploser.com
Mon Nov 26 00:49:46 UTC 2018

On Sun, Nov 25, 2018 at 2:48 PM Ivo Stankov <ivo at e-stankov.com> wrote:

> On 24.11.18 г. 21:08 ч., Heather Leson wrote:
> >
> > Members are members.
>
> I hope this undifferentiated statement does not represent the views of
> the Board and the wider OSMF community.
>
> If it does, then it basically leaves the door open for any interested
> party with organizational skills and a (quite limited) budget to achieve
> membership majorities using stand-ins and sock-puppets.

We only require for someone to be a member that they pay the membership fee
or request a waiver and are a human. If we want membership requirements to
be stricter or different then there needs to be a policy on it. I don't
think we should be sticking additional requirements in place for specific
members.

Regarding your statement of sock-puppets the board said above "All Board
members are against the creation of artificial OSMF
membership accounts." As stated by Paul " I don't see any evidence that the
signups are fake." I did a similar search prior to voting and came to the
same conclusion.

The other organizations with which I am involved (with the exception of
OSM-US) do not use a model of pay to become a member to vote for the board
as their method of membership. I think other forms of membership and board
formation would be worth looking into at some point, but I do not have the
feeling this view is in the majority.

-Kate