[Osmf-talk] Membership Working Group Updates

Paul Norman paul.norman at osmfoundation.org
Wed Nov 28 20:38:32 UTC 2018

The Membership Working Group (MWG) has been very busy lately with the
roll-out of the fee waiver for lack of money transfer program. Rather
than a quarterly update, here's some news.

New countries

We've gotten more information about countries that PayPal doesn't
support and have added Central African Republic, Equatorial Guinea,
Haiti, Kosovo, Libya, South Sudan, Timor-Leste, and Uzbekistan to the
list of countries which qualify because there's a lack of suitable money
transfer facilities.

If you have information about countries not on the list at
https://join.osmfoundation.org/fee-waiver-program/ where PayPal is not
supported or the cost of transferring money is more than the cost of
membership, please contact the MWG at membership at osmfoundation.org.

Application statistics

We welcome and congratulate our 19 new members from Iran, Kosovo and
Liberia who have already joined the OSMF through the fee waiver program.

Over the first seven days, we had 45 applications. All the percentages
below are based on these applications, and are rounded. The pace is
still continuing, and as we work on our processes, it will be possible
to automatically generate some statistics. Right now it's manual, so I
don't have more recent numbers.

The money transfer applications are easy to deal with, as we have a well
defined process. They only take a couple of minutes when all the
information is there.

Of the first 45, 60% of the applications are from Iran, and 5% from
Liberia, both countries on the list where money transfer is not
practical. The remainder are from countries where we're seeking more
information from the applicants. Since the first seven days, we've
applications from other countries.

25% of applications filled out the form incorrectly and were asked to
fill it out again with a corrected username. We might need to look at
providing more instructions on the form.

How can I help?

Contact membership at osmfoundation.org about joining the MWG. If you're
not interested in joining but have experience at writing instructions,
documentation, and procedures, the stock responses to the form could use
rewriting. If this is you, also contact membership at osmfoundation.org.

Note: A formatted version of this is at
https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/pnorman/diary/47048

Paul Norman
on behalf of the Membership Working Group