[Osmf-talk] Copyright in the Digital Single Market

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Thu Sep 13 01:05:02 UTC 2018

On Thursday 13 September 2018, Frederik Ramm wrote:

> On 09/12/2018 11:05 PM, Christoph Hormann wrote:
> > Side note:  It is my impression that the campaign agaist this
> > project in Europe suffered from many people still fundamentally
> > misunderstanding the EU.  The EU is primarily a business support
> > organization
>
> I think you're doing the EU considerable injustice with such sweeping
> statements. For example, the GDPR regulations are certainly *not*
> something that supports business in any way, but something that
> strengthens the rights of citizens. But perhaps we should avoid
> getting into an "is the EU generally good" debate, I imagine it could
> drag on for a while.

The impression that the EU has a very strong, some say inappropriately
strong, focus and priority on economic subjects and interests is not my
idea, that is a very common critique of the European Union.

That the subject of copyright is seen exclusively as a internal market
subject - in sharp contrast to how copyright was seen when it was first
introduced - is IMO testimony to that.

My statement on this was not meant to communicate a certain view and
opinion of the EU but as a hint how the campaign to change this
legislation could be adjusted to be more effective.

> The big question is of course, what will the UK do - my guess would
> be that in order to guarantee a frictionless exchange of goods and
> services, they will continue to subscribe to EU copyright rules. But
> who knows.

Note what is being discussed is a directive as opposed to a regulation
so it does not have a direct legal effect without being implemented in
national legislation - which can vary significantly.  The UK would be
free to implement it in any interpretation - or not at all.  To what
extent they have to to be able to participate in the EU internal market
will depend on the general agreements to be made on that.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/