[Osmf-talk] Local Chapter application - Ireland

Rory McCann rory at technomancy.org
Mon Aug 26 17:33:26 UTC 2019

Hi all,

I'm a long time OSMer from Ireland, and having OSM Ireland be an “all
island” body is very good idea. We've talked about this before. There
are times when external OSM communications w.r.t. NI should be UK
focused, eg if there was discussions about open data from the UK
government. There are times when it's more sensible to group with RoI,
like the multiyear townland mapping project, which used maps predating
1922 (when RoI got independence) and covered the whole island.

Nationality, and identity, are often complicated, the current political
set up in NI, where an international treaty gives people in NI a birth
right to choose to be Irish, British or both, is seen as part of the
delicate vagueness that has helped things enormously. No-one is
suggesting that OSM UK _not_ cover NI, just that OSMIE & OSMUK would
have overlapping territories, that people could decide which they want
to work within (or even both!). OSMUK & OSMIE overlapping continues that
trend. There are many “all island” groups. There is nothing radical
about this idea for OSMIE.

Rory

PS: Terms like "Irish Free State" can be loaded, and can be best avoided.