[Osmf-talk] Subscription of OSMF members to the osmf-talk mailinglist

Lukasz Kruk lukasz.kruk at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 00:10:06 UTC 2019

Hello,

Just as an idea, I think an absolutely fantastic regular update on OSM
things is the Weekly blog (http://www.weeklyosm.eu/). I'm not sure who
manages it and if it has any formal affiliation with OSMF (the about links
send me to some seemingly unrelated websites), but it does a wonderful job
of summarising discussions, technical tips, news, and a lot of other things
about OSM. It's exactly the type of a regular update that I think a lot
people who express increasing interest in OSM by joining OSMF would be
interested in. Perhaps its contents could be disseminated through a mailing
list with autosubscription for new OSMF members?

Regards,

On Thu, 14 Feb 2019 at 01:52, Donal Hunt <donal.hunt at gmail.com> wrote:

> I manage Corp IT (incl mail services) for my current company (and have
> supported many organisations over the years).
>
> In general teams and organisations require the following:
>
>    - *-announce (usually managed centrally, moderated and with a high
>    signal-to-noise ratio for all subscribers)
>    - *-discuss (usually opt-in, un-moderated and with a lower
>    signal-to-noise ratio for all subscribers)
>
> Creating a strong culture of forking larger topics / discussions onto
> their own lists over time also ensures that you don't waste 100+ / 1,000+ /
> 10,000+ people's time reading discussions that are specific to a
> single-digit percentage of the subscriber base.
>
> Based on Michael's reply it seems like that's already in place. Is more
> education is required for members in understanding the appropriate place
> for different types of communication?
>
> Donal
>
> On Wed, 13 Feb 2019 at 09:04, michael spreng <osmf at m.spreng.ch> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> On 11/02/2019 00:53, Frederik Ramm wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Do you automatically subscribe people to osmf-announce? I notice it is
>> > not mentioned on the "welcome" post you have linked to; if you do not
>> > subscribe people there and the recommended way to get news of OSMF is
>> > the OSM blog, then should osmf-announce perhpaps be closed?
>> >
>> Yes, osmf-announce is kind of replaced by the CiviCRM (the membership
>> management software we use) mail function. That way we don't need to
>> synchronize members mail addresses. The mentioned newsletter is also
>> sent with CiviCRM.
>>
>> Michael

pozdrawiam - kind regards - cumprimentos - mfg
Ɓukasz Kruk
http://lukaszkruk.com