[Osmf-talk] Nothing is neutral, and DIY | Re: Subscription of OSMF members to the osmf-talk mailinglist

Rory McCann rory at technomancy.org
Mon Feb 18 17:30:00 UTC 2019

On 18.02.19 16:39, Mikel Maron wrote:
>> weeklyOSM/Wochennotiz generally refrains from personal opinions and
>> political
> statements. weeklyOSM/Wochennotiz also has an attitude that can also
> be expressed in the text.
>
> Can WeeklyOSM explain its "attitude"? I often find myself reading
> WeeklyOSM items scratching my head over how it doesn't represent a
> few people's personal opinions and priorities, especially when it
> comes to OSMF topics.
IMO WeeklyOSM is not 100% neutral. It's impossible. Everything
is a choice. What to cover, what adjectives, the order of things, how
much space to give. Everything is political. WeeklyOSM is
relatively opinion/political free. It is often quite matter-of-fact. But
nothing can 100% uninformed by opinions. So I agree with you Mikel,
WeeklyOSM is not opinion-free. 🙂

(Personally I agree with lots of the opinions of the WeeklyOSM team 🙂)

> Also, what is the best way for us to point out issues with WeeklyOSM?
> I think WeeklyOSM is a great resource, but everything we do can be
> better right? When I've pointed things out in the past, the response
> has been a bit defensive.

You're free to start your own (weekly) newsletter. You'd probably be
able to get people to help. "better" is subjective, so you're really
suggesting replacing one political viewpoint with another (yours).
Nothing wrong with that. 🙂

If you don't like WeeklyOSM, you can do the same thing I do when I don't
like what other players in OSM do: try to get them to change, but
eventually just accept it. e.g.: Facebook is a player in OSM, and I'm
unable to control them. Such is life.

P.S. Don't the Etiquette guidelines say don't call people out publicly,
assume good faith (for WeeklyOSM), and not to have conspiracy theories
(such as WeeklyOSM's "attitude" towards the Foundation)? 😉