[Osmf-talk] Subscription of OSMF members to the osmf-talk mailinglist

Rihards richlv at nakts.net
Mon Feb 18 22:30:58 UTC 2019

On 18.02.19 23:35, Mikel Maron wrote:
> Heya Manfred
>
> Yea no problem by me with calling out data quality issues at mapathons.
> Other topics just seem one sided often, to me at least. I'm not
> interested in arguing over specific instances, so just to help with
> understanding my point of view...
>
> For instance, this from back in December has a length paragraph about
> HOT and OSMF. Yes there's a bit that states "For some OSMF members," but
> what's missing is "For other OSMF members, this is something different
> entirely"
>
> http://www.weeklyosm.eu/archives/11173
>
> Or this week, "members asked their representatives for openness and
> transparency, which was met with some pushback", referencing a post by
> Heather which read to me about a different topic entirely.
>
> Rihards asked for a specific case of defensiveness. I'm having trouble
> finding it, but I think I suggested a more "neutral" way of framing a
> WeeklyOSM item over a year ago, and I was accused of spying or something :)

Thank you Mikel, those examples seem like they could benefit from a bit
more neutrality, although they are not terribly one-sided either.
Personally, I'd appreciate a summary you'd say covers the second example
well.

Those examples also don't seem to be that much of a personal opinion or
a political statement, more like in favour of a principle (openness,
data quality...). While it could be framed to be politics, we'd get to
somebody being seen as supporting closedness or lower data quality, so ugh.

The original statement contained "also has an attitude that can also be
expressed in the text". I don't know whether that's something lost in
translation or me lacking the language knowledge, but I don't have a
clear understanding what that meant. A clarification from the WOSM team
would be appreciated.

 Rihards