[Osmf-talk] Board statement - Membership Working Group report on unusual signups before OSMF election

Guillaume Rischard openstreetmap at stereo.lu
Wed Jan 30 21:43:32 UTC 2019

Hi Christoph,

Maybe I can shed some light on the timeline.

Steve and I sent this to the board on 26 December after working on it more or less nonstop since late November.

MWG, like other working groups, can investigate issues and release reports on its own authority, but we postponed a few times at the board's request to let them deliberate, perhaps contact GlobalLogic to hear their version, and consider releasing/endorsing it themselves.

On our MWG meeting on 14 Jan, we set a firm deadline for 26 Jan - one month from release to the board - and immediately informed the board; we again told the board it could release the report itself, and that we would prefer this, but we were clear on the date we would release to the members.

Shortly after 2200 UTC on 25 Jan, we were asked by the board if we could delay again until the 29th to give them time to prepare a statement. We understood they had already had a phone call with GlobalLogic days before, but we don't know the details. It's not clear to us if the board had already decided to send the report to GlobalLogic, or had already sent it to them - this was not discussed or agreed with MWG.

We had informed the board of the release date in due time, had already postponed the release at the board’s request, were bound by the MWG’s decision and felt that the membership should receive this information. Therefore, we did not agree to further delay.

We shared our pre-written email statement with the board, and offered to wait an hour to let them add a paragraph. They agreed, but we never heard from them again.

After waiting for two hours, we released the report to the membership at 0100 UTC.

The first official statement we saw from the board was the one from today.

Guillaume