[Osmf-talk] OSGeo Oceania Local Chapter application

Edoardo Neerhut eneerhut at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 10:19:12 UTC 2020

I don't think I implied that at all. Greg phrased it better than I did
though:* "I would support 100% a local Pacific Island chapter emerging but
really believe a supranational group would provide the building blocks for
this to happen."*

The reality is that there is very little local OSM activity in some of the
countries of Oceania. There are multiple factors behind this including
limited internet access, smaller populations, less established open source
communities, and economies with a very different profile to Germany or
Belgium. None of these are reasons why there can't be local OSM activity,
but we believe a regional local chapter is a great platform to overcome
them.

Even the larger populations of Australia and New Zealand have decided that
we're much better working together at the moment than operating
independently, and the communities in both these communities are
quite substantial.

It sounds like we all want to see local OSM activity throughout Oceania.
OSGeo Oceania and the OSM Working group feel that a supranational body is
the best way to do that. Indeed many citizens of countries in Oceania agree
as evidenced in their involvement thus far.