[Osmf-talk] [OSM-talk] Call to Take Action and Confront Systemic Offensive Behavior in the OSM Community

Darafei Praliaskouski darafei at kontur.io
Wed Dec 9 20:46:26 UTC 2020

Hello,

On Wed, Dec 9, 2020 at 10:48 PM Maarten Deen <mdeen at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> I have been silent about this but when a document is drafted where only
> supporters will be heard, I have to speak out in Frederiks support.
> I have seen no systemic aggressive behaviour that demotivates and
> excludes participation by women and minority groups in OSM or behaviour
> that degrades the spirit of open community culture, and damages the
> OpenStreetMap reputation from Frederik.

Basically, a person (who is a board candidate) was denied to be able to own
their own will, substituted with their employer, and insulted in a way that
I cannot construct a way of self-defense from.

That was done by a former board member, an employee/owner of a company that
has a seating board member, and if we mirror the whole thing - "done to
protect Geofabrik's investment into having a seat on the board". Of course,
such an interpretation will not be acceptable for current board member,
employee of Geofabrik and expectedly a report of Frederik.

For some reason this aggressive gatekeeping behavior to secure a board seat
from a small company is tolerated and comes unnoticed. I believe if you
think Frederik's behavior is okay there, you are indeed a part of a
problem, to my view. Michal has decades of experience in cartography & OSM
before joining FB, but that is erased and ignored by Frederik in
unacceptable fashion.

I support the document below.

> On 2020-12-09 20:06, Celine Jacquin wrote:
> > Hello everybody
> > I hope you are all well
> >
> > We, several groups, chapters, organizations and individuals, have
> > reacted to the conversation in the osm-talk-list
> > (
> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2020-December/085692.html)
> > considering that it is an incident symptomatic of the problem we have
> > faced for many years in the community, which is one of the greatest
> > obstacles to diversity at all levels of OSM. Time to make a real
> > change.That is why we have developed a beginning of statement on the
> > desirable mechanisms to work solidly on the rules of coexistence and
> > improve diversity.
> >
> > We bring it to your attention and invite anyone who feels represented
> > to sign it. Translations are in preparation (any help is welcome):
> >
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/130JCTX9ve4H4ORXznmIVTpXiN3TX8nRGA8ayuTZ9ECI/edit?usp=sharing
> >
> > On behalf of the signatories

Darafei,
as an individual who's with OSM from 2008.