[Osmf-talk] FOSS Policy: Call for volunteers

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Mon Feb 10 18:48:21 UTC 2020

Would you like to see an OSMF powered by free and open source software?
Join the FOSS Policy Committee to make this a reality!

What is this about? Where practical, the OSMF prefers using open and
self-hosted software. This is documented in our FOSS Policy¹. However,
some of the steps outlined in that document have not been fully
implemented yet. In particular, we would like to:

* Find out where closed software is currently used by the board or
working groups, and why.
* Identify suitable open alternatives.

The findings, as well as the evaluation process of software and
services, should be transparently documented. Note that we do not impose
software choices on working group volunteers – but if we offer practical
and user-friendly solutions, we might just win people over. There are
some existing services (e.g. our GSuite email service) which are very
likely due for a replacement.

In our January meeting, the OSMF board has decided to tackle this kind
of work with the help of committees, and I've been appointed to chair
the FOSS Policy committee. Now I'm looking for volunteers – that is, you!

How to join? Just shoot me a message saying you'd like to help! :)

Tobias

¹ https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/FOSS_Policy