[Osmf-talk] Toward resolution of controversies related to iD

Craig Allan allan at iafrica.com
Mon Jun 8 20:21:33 UTC 2020

Chair and Members,

1: A multi-purpose appeal process is a useful suggestion. I'd suggest it
follows an escalating conflict resolution process, for example:
mediation first, arbitration second and thirdly some limited appeal to
higher authority.  It would be a service to the contesting parties, not
a quasi-judicial body.  I'd also suggest that the conflict resolution
service should be made a formal, well specified function of a committee
of the OSMF on the grounds that if it is not someone's job then nobody
will do it.

2: A formal curation process for tags would be very welcome. I think the
exploratory approach of 'any tags you like' has worked, but now has had
its day. The issues with iD are largely an outcome of this problem. The
next phase is to put in place a formal specification for tags serviced
by a proper process to manage tag create-amend-delete events. I predict
that editor and renderer developers will weep with joy if this is passed.

3: I don't think OSMF as a body should be making recommendations to the
iD team in a public report.  Not that the recommendations are not good,
it is just that the approach seems a bit heavy handed in a peer to peer
situation. I believe we should regard the report as a position paper,
not as an instruction, and rewrite it as such.  I do understand that
there have already been consultations with the iD team and they have
seen the document in its current form so this comment may be a bit late
and possibly ill-informed..

best regards
Craig ALLAN
(OSM: cRaIgalLAn)