[Osmf-talk] Proposed v2 of the Local Chapters Agreement, hopefully leading to OSMUS as a LC

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Jun 24 09:12:29 UTC 2020

Hi,

On 24.06.20 01:06, Kathleen Lu wrote:
>     Would we, at some point, expect that they share some of that revenue
>     with the wider project, rather than just using it for stuff in their
>     country?
>
> Such a requirement would be quite likely to violate local law governing
> donations/charitable giving, at least in the US.

There's various ways around this. Some organisations construct this as a
 fee for using the trademark (or a general fee for being a local chapter
in the first place). Others (e.g. Wikimedia) transfer some global cost
items to local chapters e.g. "dear local chapter please buy us a
database server". But I didn't want to delve into how exactly it would
be expressed in legal terms - there's always a way -, I just wanted to
raise the point and ask if we have thought about this.

I think that you might be too quick to dismiss things we might
conceivably ask for (and would also be quite morally right to ask for)
as "not legally possible so forget it". If we were to hire a lawyer and
say "this is what we would like to achieve, help us to construct a
contract that does this", I'm sure they would show a little creativity.

Bye
Frederik