[Osmf-talk] OpenCoronaMap online

Michal Migurski mike at teczno.com
Thu Mar 26 15:46:03 UTC 2020

Seán, I really wouldn’t worry about the response you get from this list to your work.

Prepending the word “open” to a noun when naming community data projects has a long and well-established history and OSM is hardly unique. “OpenStreetMap” is hard to defend as a trademark because it’s a fairly dry factual description of the project’s contents. The mark needs to be actively prevented from dilution by OSM’s legal working group but so far the board hasn’t been able to ratify even a basic set of attribution requirements.

-mike.