[Osmf-talk] OpenCoronaMap online

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 16:01:44 UTC 2020

Am Do., 26. März 2020 um 16:48 Uhr schrieb Michal Migurski <mike at teczno.com
>:

> Seán, I really wouldn’t worry about the response you get from this list to
> your work.

I would tend to agree. If you are looking for a wider audience, you should
maybe write to talk at osm.org.

> Prepending the word “open” to a noun when naming community data projects
> has a long and well-established history and OSM is hardly unique.
> “OpenStreetMap” is hard to defend as a trademark because it’s a fairly dry
> factual description of the project’s contents.

indeed, it is hard to believe that based on owning the OpenStreetMap
trademark you could have success in contesting all the other OpenXYMaps. I
guess it works for similar names like OpenStreetsMaps, or OpenRoadMap and
maybe for phonetically similar names like OpenSteepMap (in particular if
their logo would look similar to ours), but likely not for all possible
words that could be added between "open" and "maps". Michal is correct that
Open... was there before OSM was even founded. (on the other hand, "street
map" is not a factual description of what OSM is, it's far beyond a street
map).

Cheers
Martin