[Osmf-talk] OpenCoronaMap online

Stephan Knauss osm at stephans-server.de
Thu Mar 26 17:48:51 UTC 2020

On 26.03.2020 17:42, Heikki Vesanto wrote:
> Where is this trademark policy?
> Because it is not on: https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Trademark_Policy

Please check your browser/cache setting. It is there for me.

> "open-XY-map" does not have an OSM mark, and does not sound similar to
> OpenStreetmap.

The page list some OSM marks as example:
https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Trademark_Policy#1.1._The_.E2.80.9COSM_marks.E2.80.9D

It explicitly lists the word OpenStreetMap (an OSM mark), which at least
for me has a similar sound like OpenXYMap. So you need a trademark
license for OpenXYMap.

This not allowed combination of words to take advantage of the OSM marks
is explicitly mentioned:

https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Trademark_Policy#2.1._Proper_form
You may not:
     abbreviate the wordmarks, combine them with other words
(“OpenStreetMapThing”), or substitute words in the mark
(“OpenStreetThing” or “OpenThingMap”), especially where the new
combination sounds similar to OpenStreetMap.

You can always have this tested in court. But as Frederik said: Actively
fighting against the community discussed and officially approved OSM
policy does not qualify you as a friend of OpenStreetMap.

And while we are it:

The mentioned website is also prone of violating the tile usage policy,
at least once it reaches their intended large-scale audience.
https://operations.osmfoundation.org/policies/tiles/

I personally will now refuse from actively mentioning or even promoting
the initially named maps as they are likely going to waste my membership
fees for legal actions which would have been unneeded if people would
follow our policies.

Just because you believe you're doing something "for a good cause" does
not mean you are no longer needed to follow laws, rules or good manner.

Stephan