[Osmf-talk] Mapbox Attribution

Mikel Maron mikel.maron at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 14:35:33 UTC 2021

Hi Peter

Tobias raised this today in the Board chat. I immediately brought it to the attention of the appropriate account manager, who raised it with the customer. The point person there is on vacation (you Europeans sure get a lot of vacation! ;) so not sure it will be done as rapidly as hoped. But it is not something that Mapbox will drop. Appreciate that the issue was raised.

If I can try to encapsulate Mapbox position on this, compliance with the Mapbox attribution policy is taken seriously and acted on when noticed. It's not practically possible to stop customers from doing this, but when it happens, there's action.

I don't have an exhaustive listing, but it is not at all accurate to say that every case with missing OSM attribution also had the Mapbox logo. I've seen many with no data provider nor branding attribution at all. And actually quite a few more without the Mapbox logo, but ok attribution to data providers (don't expect anyone in the OSM community is worrying about that situation!).

As one of the two Board members with COI on attribution issues, and particularly working at Mapbox, I'm not going to going to be involved in the decision on how OSMF handles these kinds of situations.

-Mikel

* Mikel Maron * +14152835207 @mikel s:mikelmaron