[Osmf-talk] Organised editing activity request by commercial company - Talk-Africa - TomTom

Craig Allan allan at iafrica.com
Mon Feb 15 20:49:09 UTC 2021

Hello List,

The wiki page for TomTom organised editing is not an advert in my eyes.
It states a very few facts about the company, setting the context of
their contribution, which seems fine to me.

I support Pierre on the concerns with classification of roads. The
stress in Africa road tagging is functional, not physical. The
Highway_Tag_Africa page is the standard, though
East_Africa_Tagging_Guidelines also has road classification.

In places the major regional road is physically just two unmaintained
ruts - but the route fulfils the function of joining major local
centres.  The "roads" between some villages in the DRC are only
passable for motorbikes, but functionally they are the local connector
roads as all goods and people traffic pass along them, piled high on a
motorbike.  And the scale of urban centres is often very small compared
to Europe, Asia and the Americas.

If TomTom tags responsibly and respects the African road classification
then their contribution is welcome.Â

I'd would however like to see their organised mapping team using a
"team" username suffix pattern - something like TT-Courtiney, TT-Tabzi,
TT-Sebasawk.  Of course this is optional, we can't dictate their usernames.

Craig Allan (South Africa)
OSM: cRaIgalLAn