[Osmf-talk] Microgrants conflict of interest: an apology

joost schouppe joost.schouppe at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 18:48:46 UTC 2021

Hi,

There were rules in place within the committee to make sure applications
with a relation to one of the members would be treated equally. For
example, even though I was just facilitating, I left the meeting for a bit
while the Belgian application was being discussed. I was very much aware of
CoI.

However, once on the Board side in the general positive mood about having
reached a nice set of proposals to accept in bulk, I did fail to realize
that the bulk vote included one project I should have not voted on. So it
was "glaringly obvious" in one role, much less in another. If we would have
voted on them one by one, I do suppose it would have spontaneously occurred
to me or any of the other participants that I couldn't vote on the Belgian
proposal.

Now I understand that it sounds great to have noone on the committee that
has a possible CoI, but I think that it would be a bad idea to try and
enforce that. As mentioned before, we are a small community. I would really
hate to see a project disqualified, just because I'm on the committee. It
would mean that anyone considering to volunteer for the Committee would
have to check if they are close to anyone with a good idea. Which would be
true in 95% of cases.

Best,
Joost