[Osmf-talk] Seeking feedback and interest in the OSMF Engineering Working Group

Mikel Maron mikel.maron at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 13:34:31 UTC 2021

(sorry about the formatting on previous message -- hopefully this comes through better)

## What we do

The Engineering Working Group is charged with

- Handling software development paid for by the OSMF
- Putting out calls for proposals on tasks of interest, and accepting proposals on other tasks
- Offering a platform for coordination of software development efforts across the OSM ecosystem
- Managing OSM’s participation in software mentorship programs

For handling paid development, "tasks" include development of new features, maintenance of code, documentation, and other tasks that improve the developer experience. We encourage applications from skilled individuals who aren’t professional developers, professional contractors or companies, as well as those who are. In our first round we will look for projects that don’t need much management and will apply the principles of the [Hiring Framework](https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Hiring_Framework).

We encourage standardization and shared efforts between projects by bringing together developers with similar interests. This work also includes responding to emails and directing people at other people or appropriate resources.

## Join us

We are looking for people with experience with the OSM software ecosystem, developing software, or managing software development.

## Prospective Budget

Our first budget will outline further detail, and is subject to change after the WG forms and we have initial meetings.

- Estimated 50k initial budget, same scale as microgrants
- 50% of funding to core OSM software used to edit OSM or OSM-specific software run on the OpenStreetMap website
- 30% of funding to OSM QA and analysis tools and OSM-specific software in common use (category named TBD)
- 20% of funding to consumer-facing OSM software and new software

All code written must be open-source and available without charge.

We would like to budget for administrative assistance for meeting minutes, document management, and other administrative tasks and believe this is best handled through existing contracts the board has in place.

* Mikel Maron * +14152835207 @mikel s:mikelmaron

The Engineering Working Group is restarting with a new charter. OSMF is seeking feedback on the proposed charter, and also interest in joining the group. You can share here on this thread, or directly with board at osmfoundation.org.

For background on the revival of the Engineering Working Group, there are notes in last month's Board minutes.
https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board/Minutes/2021-06#Engineering_Working_Group

The draft of the proposed charter is below, as well as sketch of potential budget.

Thanks in advance for your input!

-Mikel, for OSMF Board