[Osmf-talk] Draft Attribution Guidelines, possible vote at end of this month & new guidelines.

Donal Hunt donal.hunt at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 16:13:27 UTC 2021

Two quick comments:

The ropes reference is possibly about "not tying ourselves in knots" but
even as a native English speaker it took some effort to make the connection.

While I agree that the OSMF should defend the attribution conditions of
using the data, I also believe they should do so in a manner that is in the
spirit of the global community. That would rule out MPAA- style "fire and
forget" messaging to data users that aren't complying with the attribution.

>From a governance perspective, I would expect to see an annual report
indicating the level of improper attribution detected, investigated,
correspondence initiated, issues resolved and issues escalated to the LWG /
lawyers for further engagement. I hope formal legal engagement would be
rare.

Anyway... We've strayed away from the core of this specific discussion.
Enforcement is outside the scope of the guidelines discussion but it may be
helpful for context within the big picture.

Donal