[Osmf-talk] Draft Attribution Guidelines, possible vote at end of this month & new guidelines.

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Jun 15 20:29:47 UTC 2021

Hi,

for what it's worth, and as someone who is often asked about
clarification regarding attribution rules, I think the draft is good.

I can see that there are a few bits and pieces that warrant further
refinement but I would be very much in favour of accepting these
guidelines as they are while at the same time signalling openness to
continue working on them where they should prove to be out of sync with
what we want.

I think such an approach works better than trying to cover every
hypothetical base from the start, and I see no reason to be alarmist in
any way about the document. After all, if someone thinks something in
the document is too onerous for them, they can always disregard it at
their own risk (and especially at the risk of alienating the community).
You might be legally allowed to ignore what we want, but you can't
expect to be our friend then.

I feel that this draft comes closer to community expectations than
earlier drafts produced by LWG. I appreciate and respect the time LWG
has spent on the topic, and there might be some bits and pieces here
where lawyers say "but you can't want that", but frankly, when having to
decide to side with the community or with the lawyers, I'd shrug and
choose the community side any day. When OSM started, GIS professionals
told us we can't do it too ;)

Bye
Frederik