[Osmf-talk] App damaging OSM data

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Mon Sep 20 22:53:08 UTC 2021

Am 20.09.2021 um 21:50 schrieb Brian M. Sperlongano:
> This is also an issue with boundaries, ticket #8286:
> https://github.com/openstreetmap/iD/issues/8286
> <https://github.com/openstreetmap/iD/issues/8286>

While it is clearly good practice to try and maintain order when
splitting a way that is a member of a boundary or multi-polygon, not
doing so doesn't break the object at hand in any meaningful way. Any
processing of a boundary or multi-polygon on the other hand that relies
on the members being correctly ordered is actually broken.

The problem with preserving manual ordering is only a real issue with
routes that cannot be reliably automatically sorted and have a brittle
data model, that is mainly public transport routes. The problem
theoretically can happen on other type of routes but would require loops
etc. that need to be traversed in specific way on a specific side of the
road, and these are likely to be rather rare.

Restrictions do not require ordering, but splitting of ways requires
some care when assigning roles, I however don't believe there is a
current issue with iD in that respect.

Back to the route ordering issue, handling this correctly requires the
editing application to have access to the connecting ways at the ends of
the way that has been split (well at least one of them). This is not
always a given as when you are splitting a longer way, the end points
may not be in the downloaded data, and to actually do it correctly you
will need to download the ways for the end nodes. While this is always
possible for iD it isn't so for other editors that may be operating offline.

Note the above assumes that the route is actually ordered correctly and
the way members are split at the correct places, if they aren't all bets
are off.

Simon