[OSRM-talk] Project-OSRM: In need of advice; can offer some commercial support to you/ your projects in return

Bjorn Madsen bm at multiagenttechnology.com
Mon Nov 30 12:17:05 UTC 2015

Hi - We're setting up a server to support the project with a modest 128 Gb
RAM.

Q1: What is the "right way" to get map updates for .pbf files? Any best
practices out there? Nightly/Weekly builds? Do you get the data from
http://download.geofabrik.de/ and are they okay with the traffic?

Q2: What is the "right way" to prevent import of criminal map updates? I
read on the OSM forum that somebody got banned after moving industry
addresses around in updates, with a plausible suspicion on attempting to
redirect deliveries (without payment).

Q3: Any other best practices to keep in mind?

Kind regards
Bjorn

On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 4:11 PM, Sander Deryckere <sanderd17 at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> Hi Sander & Emil,
>> Thanks for the quick responses. The usage of the lua script is
>> particularly useful.
>>
>> I completely respect the limitations of the demo server and can offer to
>> set up another server to support the project. 20Tb of traffic should help?
>>
>> OSRM is open source, so you're completely free to install your own
> server, to fit your own needs or anything you want. If you want to support
> the community with an extra server, that would be great too.
>

>> I've been following the discussions on the OSM forum and they've
>> discussed the quality of the map to a great extend.
>> For planning purposes I appreciate that the main source of error is delay
>> in updates. To counter that we are planning to use our commercial help-desk
>> to collect information from drivers about detours and unrecorded obstacles
>> so that OSM can get the updates with less than a days delay. We can also
>> track some vehicles, and capture information such as slowdown caused by
>> traffic jams, etc. on major roads. Hopefully this can become a valued
>> source of information?
>>
>> OSM only gathers permanent and verifiable information. And permanent
> means that you can expect it to last at least one year after you mapped it.
> Now, you can do some more temporary mapping (like setting a highway state
> to "construction" if they're doing long works on it). But in general,
> traffic jams, temporary obstacles etc don't belong in OSM.
>
> However, OSM is free to mix with other open data, so if anyone takes up
> the job to create a database of temporary data, it can be combined with
> OSM. Mapbox might indeed be interested in it, but I haven't seen any
> successful and open databases like this so far.
>

>> If somebody has a burning interest in accelerating this, then please feel
>> free to get in touch for a sponsorship.
>> That's the least I can do.
>>
>> Kind regards
>> Bjorn