[OSRM-talk] "nearest suitable road segment" Was: Helgoland in St. Peter-Ording

Daniel Patterson daniel at mapbox.com
Wed Aug 17 18:56:40 UTC 2016

Florian,

  OSRM simply snaps the coordinate to the nearest road.  If the back yard "streets" are part of the main road network (i.e. not `access=private`), then it's simply the closest road segment to your start point that gets used.  Nominated is returning the building centroid for Münsterstraße 15a, so it's snapping to the parking lot roads.

  I'm not really sure what we could change in OSRM to fix this - perhaps excluding `service=parking_aisle` road segments might have the general effect?  Maybe in this case there should be a `service=driveway` on the entrance to the parking lot, and we should exclude driveways?

daniel