[OSRM-talk] About Indoor Routing

Daniel Hofmann hofmann at mapbox.com
Wed Feb 24 10:43:57 UTC 2016

Yes this would be a major lift, as OSRM is built for road network routing
and has assumptions about that throughout the code base.From the profiles
that extract only certain properties (e.g. speeds based on maxspeed tags),
as far as how instructions are generated in the guidance generation, you
would have to re-model the code base for your use-case.

As the indoor mapping use-case probably also does not need much of osrm's
core algorithms (since it's a locally constraint problem), it could make
more sense to read the Wiki you linked above and then come up with a way
simpler model and program for providing indoor routing.

On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 6:37 AM, C.C.Tang <hiyorin+osm at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> lots of tags that will be used that the current foot profile does not know
>> about.
>>
>>   For (1), I mean that there is no support for indoor-specific words in
>> the instructions returned in the "viaroute" response.  It knows about
>> things like "turn left on X street", but it does not know about indoor
>> instructions like "take the third door on your left", or "take the elevator
>> to the 3rd floor".
>>
>>   For (2), you are correct - the current nearest-neighbor match is 2D
>> only, it does not know about elevation.  Support for this would need to be
>> added if you wanted to match to certain levels.
>>
>>   In addition, routing on OSM areas is currently limited to routing
>> around the edges - see
>> https://github.com/Project-OSRM/osrm-backend/issues/64
>>
>>   Overall, I'm sure you can make it work, but I think OSRM is currently
>> missing a few important features for it to work really well.
>>
>> daniel
>>
>> On Feb 15, 2016, at 9:10 PM, C.C.Tang <hiyorin+osm at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Daniel,
>>
>> Many thanks for your reply.
>>
>> I am going to try and see if it works.
>> But I come up with several new questions after reading your response:
>>
>> 1.
>> Do you mean I need to work around it by tagging staris and elevator
>> differently in order to route between levels?
>> Or a custom profile is needed?
>>
>> 2.
>> While the indoor data will very likely to have several overlapping area
>> defined on different level, will OSRM have difficulties determining the
>> correct source/destination node when a query is being processed?
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> C.C.Tang
>>

>> On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 11:57 AM Daniel Patterson <daniel at mapbox.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>>   While it can work in theory, OSRM is missing some of the
>>> indoor-specific guidance that you will need for changing levels, like "take
>>> the stairs" and "take the elevator to the Nth floor".  We are working on a
>>> big refactor at the moment that might improve this, but I don't know if
>>> anyone has put a lot of thought into it at the moment.
>>>
>>>   The first thing to do would be to give it a go and see if the results
>>> are acceptable.  Add the ways you need to OSM, then use the foot.lua
>>> profile and make sure the indoor tags are included in the routing graph.
>>>
>>> daniel
>>>
>>> On Feb 15, 2016, at 7:27 PM, C.C.Tang <hiyorin+osm at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear List Moderator,
>>>
>>> Please kindly ignore my previous post having the same mail subject. I
>>> sent it with wrong From address.
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I am doing a project that require (multi floor/level) indoor routing
>>> capability.
>>> I was wondering if OSRM supports processing indoor related tags and
>>> and