[OSRM-talk] profile-name in url

Jäger, Frank (KRZ) F.Jaeger at KRZ.DE
Wed Mar 8 14:35:41 UTC 2017

Hallo,
while my first routing-service with osrm-backend now is running on my server, I'm thinking to serve another profile.

The documentation
https://github.com/Project-OSRM/osrm-backend/blob/master/docs/http.md#general-options
... seems to have the profile-name in the URL.

/{service}/{version}/{profile}/{coordinates}

I wonder if  {profile}  points to the foldername, or to the filename?
No, nothing. It's just a trap!

https://router.project-osrm.org/route/v1/foot/8.602208,52.248399;8.630159,52.241298?steps=false&alternatives=false&geometries=geojson&overview=full
is just the same as
https://router.project-osrm.org/route/v1/banane/8.602208,52.248399;8.630159,52.241298?steps=false&alternatives=false&geometries=geojson&overview=full

The value of "profile" after "/v1/" has no function.  Only the service-port of the service maps to the computed profile, I think.

So, for a second routing-profile I have to start a second service on a another port?  Is this true?

It would save a lot of time for beginners like me to write this information into the documentation.
It costs a lot of testing to get out of this "trap".

Greetings
Frank