[openstreetmap-website] User Changeset Feed Defaults to Last Editor If Specified User Doesn't Exist (#46)

Hugh Barnes notifications at github.com
Thu Oct 11 22:58:25 GMT 2012

Whether feed or html, suspect 404 is not the correct response in these situations. Can't quite determine what the appropriate code should be.

If we take the view that the resource is a search, then what we get is an empty list of search results. The resource is perfectly valid, so 200.

Another perspective is that request is "bad", because the parameter is invalid (debatable), so "400 Bad Request". This is defined as a generic client-side error anyway, so I'm sure it can be justified. A quick search shows me [Foursquare are also taking this approach in their API] (https://developer.foursquare.com/overview/responses).

None of the other 4xx codes seem appropriate to me.

If you think we're overthinking this, it's in the API this most matters (outside the scope of this ticket, but they should align). From a quick scan, it looks like OSM's API returns 404 when an id parameter can't be matched (e.g. http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/API_v0.6#Query:_GET_.2Fapi.2F0.6.2Fchangesets ). Perhaps that should be up for consideration in 0.7.

https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/issues/46#issuecomment-9361269