[openstreetmap-website] Move license attribution to standard OpenLayers control (#101)

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Sep 20 07:53:37 BST 2012

Hi,

On 09/20/2012 03:46 AM, Tom MacWright wrote:
> dialog and be turned into an icon with a more user-friendly text field
> where you can copy & paste the url rather than 'going to it'

Two potential issues (that may well be issues of personal taste) with this:

1. I regularly click the permalink in order to be able to later use the
browser "back" button tot ake me back to that location. I don't know if
I am alone in doing so.

2. Other web sites do what you recommend and I have a minor usability
gripe with it. When I click on the chain link button in Google maps for
example, it opens a small box with the permalink shown in a text field
(which is strange because text fields normally mean that there's
something you can edit), and the permalink is fully highlighted. Now,
under X, I am used to everything that is highlighted being available in
the X paste buffer, i.e. if I see something like this I immediately
expect to be able to paste the URL somewhere else by using the middle
mouse button. However, the highlight is fake; I first have to
right-click into the text box and select "copy" from the context menu
and then I can paste the URL. I don't know if I have made this clear
enough and it probably is a fringe case but I always felt that these
kinds of permalinks are clumsy, and much preferred a standard link that
I would right click and do a "copy link location".

Bye
Frederik