[openstreetmap-website] Add Wikidata-links to browse-helper (#786)

Andy Mabbett notifications at github.com
Tue Jul 22 14:42:43 UTC 2014

I think there's a misapprehension here. Using the charming Justin Beiber Street example; there may be no Justin Beiber Street entity in Wikidata (and no "Justin Bieber Street" article in Wikipedia, in any language). In fact, that's more likely to be true than not, and Baldwin Street is the exception, not the rule.

Nonetheless, knowing who or what the street (or other feature) you're standing on (or next to) is named after will be of interest to people, and including a Wikidata link allows editors to check that we're linking to the correct entity.

Also, Wikidata labels are mutlingual. Using them allows, say, a logged-in Chinese colleague to see Biebber's name in the relevant script, or a German friend to know that, say, "Osprey Avenue" is named after the "Fischadler".

https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/pull/786#issuecomment-49748279