[openstreetmap-website] OWL Activity Tab (#876)

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Wed Mar 2 09:45:17 UTC 2016

What I am missing is the ability to get a point-in-time view of an
object, especially including boundary relations, in a machine-readable
format (i.e. as XML, not a website). So I can query for the FULL state
of relation X at a specific historical point in time and get the data
for the relation and all its underlying ways and nodes. At the moment I
can only do that by downloading and hosting an enormous full history
planet DB (which I don't have the resources for) or by making thousands
of /full API calls (one for every node in every way in the relation). My
interest is also limited to the UK, so a full history dump of a limited
area would also be a step in the right direction, but I haven't been
able to find one of those.

//colin

On 2016-03-02 10:12, d1g wrote:

> @ppawel [1] IMO we want A TAG-FOCUSED (HISTORY) VIEWER, not every-node-in-every-way-relation tool.
>
> Simply because we have low-level tools already (overpass api, achavi to display). We lack stream of changes in overpass, but it is still possible to overcome it using historic querying.
>
>> a. When you change only a single node belonging to this relation - should this count as a change to the whole relation, i.e. should you see administrative boundaries as changed in the activity feed?
>
> This node in question had no tags - this should be no change for user. But there special cases like relation:site where you want to count child nodes, since tags from relation propagate to its child's.
>
>> When you move a single way belonging to this relation - same question - should the whole relation be considered "changed" or only the moved part?
>
> "Only moved part" would mean smaller bbox at country-scale relations. Smaller bbox is easier to understand and use.
>
> IMO tracking of geometry-topology of country/Europe-scale relations is up to specialized validators (like http://wowik.000space.com/routes/?ckattempt=1 for road network in multiple countries). There service dedicated to admin boundaries: http://osm.wno-edv-service.de/index.php/10-osm-reports/481-countries-compare-2016-02-23
>
> IMO focus should be more on POI-centric changestream (how to track changes of shop=* or amenity=* in single city). This is how Wikimapia history tab was functioning for 8+ years.
>
> --

Links:
------
[1] https://github.com/ppawel