[Tagging] [OSM-talk] connection between 2 islands

Cartinus cartinus at xs4all.nl
Tue Dec 1 03:48:13 GMT 2009

On Monday 30 November 2009 23:36:27 Simone Saviolo wrote:
> I'm not sure I understood the WIki correctly - either that, or Osmarender
> doesn't do what the wiki says. In this place [1], the railway runs on a
> raised finger of land, as described in the wiki. So I put two parallel ways
> on both sides of the railway and tagged them as embankments; but the
> resulting render suggests that one way would be enough. What is the
> intended use of the embankment tag?
>
> Regards,
>
> Simone
>
> [1]

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=45.13958&lon=8.45655&zoom=17&layers=0B00FTF

<quote>
Embankments that share a way with a highway, railway or waterway are rendered
with "spikes" on both sides. (Currently only in Osmarender.)

Micro-mapped embankments should be rendered with the left-hand side of the way
being the high side and the right-hand side being the low side. (Currently
nothing supports this however.)
</quote>

Like I wrote in the wiki a few hours ago: The micro-mapping approach is not
supported by anything. Osmarender is the only renderer (known to me) that
does anything with embankments and it only looks good if you use
embankment=yes or man_made=embankment on the same way as the
railway/highway/waterway.

--
m.v.g.,
Cartinus