[Tagging] [OSM-talk] connection between 2 islands

Simone Saviolo simone.saviolo at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 09:36:31 GMT 2009

2009/12/1 Andre Engels <andreengels at gmail.com>

> On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 4:48 AM, Cartinus <cartinus at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> If one wants to show the width of the embankment, I think the more
> correct thing to do would be to have the embaknkment be one closed
> curve, perhaps also with area=yes attached. This however would have
> the problem of getting the 'spikes' also at the beginning and the end.
> Another option would be to add a tag "embankment_side =
> left/right/both" with "both" being the default value.

I think the closed embankment way would not be a good approach. In my
example, the embankment refers to a strip of land that is level with the
area at the south, and that is raised above the surrounding area that slowly
goes downhill; but after a few hundred meters it slowly goes up again, and
the railway is level again. Imagine a valley with a viaduct, only in a
smaller scale and with a "non-bridge" (sorry I can't be more precise; I have
no idea what the correct English name is). At both ends the embankment is
actually level with the ground, and should not be marked as embankment
IMHO.

Simone