[Tagging] bicycle=no

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Tue Dec 8 18:10:18 GMT 2009

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 12:30 PM, Mike Harris <mikh43 at googlemail.com> wrote:

> So - question to the group - do people think that foot / bicycle / etc. =
> yes / no / permissive etc. has any strictly legal implication in their area
> / usage?

I certainly did:  http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Access

access=yes The public has an official, legally-enshrined right of access,
i.e. it's a right of way.
access=no Access by this transport mode is not permitted, public does not
have a right of way.

foot / bicycle / etc. are, I thought, effectively subtags off access=*.

I'm not very familiar with access=permissive and how it differs from
access=private.  It seems to me to be a distinction that's difficult to
verify, or at least jurisdiction dependent.  I like the idea, but I'm not
sure about how to implement it.

I also don't see how anything but a strictly legal implication can make
sense.