[Tagging] bicycle=no

Roy Wallace waldo000000 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 01:58:04 GMT 2009

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 11:37 AM, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:

> We must be operating under different assumptions. I'm thinking it's *easier*
> to use a single tag, like "bicycle:suitability=medium" for a stretch of a
> few kilometres, rather than tagging the width each time it changes, the
> surface each time that changes, etc etc.

It may be "easier" to use, but it's not easier to use correctly (or in
a way that's useful/verifiable).

> But in case, I don't think there is ever an expectation that people tag
> things outside their area of interest or expertise.

Really? I tag all sorts of things outside my area of interest/expertise.

> It would obviously be
> fine to go "this looks like a bike path, highway=cycleway" or "this might be
> a bike path, but I'm not sure, highway=footway, width=2.0".

As long as the next mapper who comes along is guaranteed to agree
(i.e. what you've tagged is verifiable), then yeah, it's obviously
fine. Otherwise, it's obviously not fine.