[Tagging] bicycle=no

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Thu Dec 10 03:27:19 GMT 2009

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 8:37 PM, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:

> We must be operating under different assumptions. I'm thinking it's
> *easier* to use a single tag, like "bicycle:suitability=medium" for a
> stretch of a few kilometres, rather than tagging the width each time it
> changes, the surface each time that changes, etc etc.

What kind of surface/width changes are we talking about?  I'd support a
relaxaton of the width tag to support a range of tags (width=2-3).  The tag
"est_width=2.5" is already in the wiki.  As for surface changes, I don't
know how common that is, especially not if you don't mind surface=paved.
Even surface=unpaved is better than what you're going to get out of me if
you insist I consult a table of bicycle suitabilities, which is nothing.

> But in case, I don't think there is ever an expectation that people tag
> things outside their area of interest or expertise.

That's why I suggest using tags that apply to lots of different interests.
Knowing the width helps everyone.  Knowing the surface (at least to the
precision of paved/grass/unpaved) helps everyone.  Whereas
bicycle:suitability=medium helps bicyclists.  Make that some bicyclists.
Make that some bicyclists, sometimes.

By the way, you mentioned curbs.  I'm kind of shocked we don't have it, but
I strongly suggest we introduce a barrier=curb.  If I feel masochistic, I
might even make up a proposal for it.