[Tagging] Tagging highway=cycleway without explicit knowledge of the law?

Roy Wallace waldo000000 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 22:56:05 GMT 2009

On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 8:26 AM, Anthony <osm at inbox.org> wrote:

> This is NearMap?  Can't you take a sample of people traveling over the way,
> and if it's more than 50% bicyclists, use highway=cycleway?
>
> Or is it too short and there aren't any people traveling over the way?

Here is the path: http://www.nearmap.com/?ll=-27.567057,153.041422&z=20&t=h

This is outer suburban Brisbane, Australia - people are few and far between.

> Anyway, I like highway=road or highway=path, with surface=paved and width=*.

I understand. Except I am pretty damn sure it was "designed for"
cyclists (though I expect pedestrians are free to use it if they
want)...

Maybe I'll go with highway=cycleway + designation=unknown +
source:highway=nearmap.

This way, it is clear that "nearmap" alone has been used to make the
decision on "cycleway" - i.e. based only on the path's appearance from
above - so future mappers with better sources can feel free to change
the classification.

This is analogous to the practice of tracing the rough path of a road
based on, say, source=extrapolation, then allowing future mappers to
improve the data if they have source=survey (or in the case of the
path/cycleway, e.g. source=local_council).

This is, after all, the purpose of the source=* tag, right? To allow
for mappers to make constructive progress even without 100%
confidence?