[Tagging] Tagging highway=cycleway without explicit knowledge of the law?

Roy Wallace waldo000000 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 03:26:46 GMT 2009

On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 12:05 PM, James Livingston <doctau at mac.com> wrote:

> It had source=nearmap because it was traced from nearmap. I've never seen source:highway=* to indicate how they decided what kind of path it is.

Me either, but this idea is documented:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:source

"May also be used as a namespace prefix to specify the source of a
single attribute"

I think this is a good way for mappers to contribute constructively
even when they're not 100% sure (particularly in areas like Aus with
fewer mappers per sq-km). It makes it easier for mappers like you to
"retag" when necessary, because then you DO know whether they have or
haven't "had more than just the imagery to go on".