[Tagging] schools

Stephen Hope slhope at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 03:01:26 BST 2009

I think the operator tag needs some careful documentation if you're
going to use it this way.

Take this local (to me) school as an example
www.stjosephsbrackenridge.qld.edu.au  I'll be mapping it's area soon.

This is a Catholic Primary School. If I used operator tag, I'd put
Catholic Church or similar, not QLD Education Department. The building
is on church owned grounds, the church pays the staff. They do accept
some assistance from the government (I think), but it is a private
school.  To me, the Education Department is the certifying/controlling
body, not the operator of this school.  They would be the operator of
government run schools, however.

It may be that you're talking about a different situation where the
County Council actually owns and runs the schools, but sub-lets some
of the work to other bodies. But if you're just talking about who is
the certifying body for the school, I think operator is the wrong term
- it's likely to cause confusion.

Stephen