[Tagging] Proposal: Energy generator power types

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Tue Aug 17 08:44:47 BST 2010

On 16 August 2010 21:08, André Riedel <riedel.andre at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2010/8/16 Tom Chance <tom at acrewoods.net>:
> > Basically I have deprecated "power_type=photovoltaic" and
> > "power_type=solar-thermal", which combine two bits of information (source
> of
> > energy, and type of energy generated). This also allows for adequate
> tagging
> > of generators that produce more than one type of energy from a single
> > source, such as a gas-fired combine heat and power plant.
>
> The difference between photovoltaic and solar-thermal isn't the type
> of produced energy. In both cases it is electric energy, but via
> different physical ways.

This is possibly a language difference, but here in the UK "solar thermal"
means a solar panel that produces hot water, usually by pumping water
through evacuated tubes or flat panels that receive a lot of sunlight.

The language difference seems to make it even more important to separate
these tags out as per my proposal!

In any case, if you wanted to get even more detailed and reflect the
particular type of "electricity generating solar panel" I would suggest
another tag proposal. The current solution of lumping several different bits
of information together in one tag (as per "power_source=solar-thermal") is
too limited.

Regards,
Tom Chance