[Tagging] is tourism a good category for everything cultural?

Simone Saviolo simone.saviolo at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 10:29:21 BST 2010

2010/8/24 Ross Scanlon <info at 4x4falcon.com>:
>> > Typical.
>> >
>> > NFI about database use so you resort to slinging mud.
>> >

>> > I have a significant idea about how osm works as I have to integrate it into programs I write or contribute to.
>> >
>> > If the database was normalised then I'd have a reduction of about 1000 lines of code in one program alone.
>>
>> Hint: OSM is not about database coders saving their time.
>>
>> Regards, ULFL
>
> No kidding.
>
> I thought it was there to produce the most accurate map data available and then produce mapping information easily.
>
> Obviously there is no use discussing this with you as you have no understanding of normalising a relational database and only bother to hard code things, like paths in a program.
>
> This appears to be going about 60m above your head.

Don't mind me sneaking into this thread... but normalizing the
database would be of little use, IMHO. More often than not, the
problem is not "highway=residential should not be called residential
but house_street", but that a tag is not granular enough, that it
needs more resolution, that the definition isn't clear, that it's
being misused in some places, that different countries/cities have
different defaults, or a lot of other things. Forget the discussions
about soccer rather than association football - those are not the
problems that make mapping harder. When people say, for example, that
"hours_on" has a horrible definition and should be changed, the
normalization would provide no benefit.

Ciao,

Simone