[Tagging] opening hours

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 10:43:23 GMT 2010

On 21 February 2010 20:34, Tobias Knerr <osm at tobias-knerr.de> wrote:
> I guess it would work. However, I wouldn't understand what it means when
> encountering that value. One of the advantages of the opening_hours tag
> is that you can usually understand it without refering to documentation.
> Or is that some convention I simply haven't encountered yet?

The problem is I haven't found anything that solves this problem, I'm
thinking out loud.

> Maybe we could come up with a somewhat more readable solution, "1st Sa"
> or something like that?

The problem with that is it may not get cleanly parsed by existing
software, however ...

> A more general problem is that we are using increasingly more complex
> opening hours (seasonal, x hours after sunrise/sunset, holiday-dependent
> ...), so it's unlikely that any application will support all cases.

I don't think it's possible for all software to support everything,
nor should they, but if they want to support irregular opening hours
we shouldn't stop them, or people mapping that information either.

The main thing here is being able to describe how to tag this, then we
can worry about software parsing it.