[Tagging] Race track

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Sun Jan 31 15:51:23 GMT 2010

On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 8:46 AM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Again, are we trying to make a map look photo realistic?
>
> To me a map is a set of abstract ideas that express information about
> reality that can't be seen from photo imagery. Mapping road widths can
> be done by estimate based on a number of factors that are both vector
> and meta information, I fail to see how presenting an area will
> actually present any more information to a person. If they want such
> information and if there is aerial imagery they can just switch tile
> sets.

Among other things, I want to be able to produce
http://mytechnews.info/b/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/nuvi-lane-assistance.jpg

That's not photorealism, and it's not raster data, but that gore area is
best mapped as an area (the lanes could be linear, but that would require a
bit more OSM redesign).

On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 10:49 AM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 1 February 2010 01:43, Anthony <osm at inbox.org> wrote:
> > Maps.  If a bunch of treetops are blocking the view of a road, we'd show
> the
> > road, not the treetops.  How is that even relevant?
>
> The current line of thinking almost goes so far as to map the trees
> and tag them layer=1 etc...

Which still has nothing to do with photorealism.