[Tagging] Tagging average speed [Was: Re: Residential roads]

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Mon Nov 8 09:36:49 GMT 2010

 From the "better late than never" department:

I just discovered a description of how Inrix work with speeds to assist
with predicted journey times.

Inrix are a leading supplier of this kind of information to
organisations such as ITIS (in the UK) and TomTom, so I think they have
probably thought it through...

http://euscorecard.inrix.com/scorecard_eu/UK/methodology.asp

In short they have a "reference speed" for each road segment, which
represents the speed in the absence of traffic (capped to the legal
maximum). Beyond that they build a database of average speeds for each
hour of each day of the week, giving 1+7*24=169 values for each segment.
They can then do some mathematical wizardry to produce statistics to
show the effects of congestion.

The "reference speed" is definitely something that could have a place in
OSM and as it is based on actual journey times it would surely be
beneficial to routing decisions - better anyway than blindly taking the
legal maximum speed or attempting to predict the driving speed based on
attributes of the way in OSM.

If we could agree a tag for this it would at least give a place to put
the "reference speed". Routers etc can then use this instead of maxspeed
where it is available.

Colin